Critical Illness (CI) policies are designed to cover certain critical illnesses, which are normally costly to treat. While different policies cover a wide range of illnesses, the most common are Cancer, Heart Stroke and Paralysis, Coronary Artery Bypass surgery, Major organ transplant (heart, lung, liver, and pancreas) and Kidney failure.
The major difference between a mediclaim and a CI policy is that mediclaim will only settle your hospital bills but in case of a CI policy, you receive a lump sum straight away, which can be used for treatment and compensate you for the loss of income to some extent. So in mediclaim, when an illness is diagnosed, you are expected to get hospitalize and get treatment, but in the case of CI insurance, the sum assured is paid the moment the illness is diagnosed (typically within 30 to 60 days). You are free to get treated anywhere and spend the money as you like. Mediclaim is like reimbursement whereas CI is incentivizing. For example, suppose Mr. Kumar buys a Critical Illness policy of a sum insured of Rs 10 lakh and contracts any of the major illnesses specified in the policy. If he informs his insurer he will be paid the entire sum insured of Rs 10 lakh. He can utilize this lump sum money to cover any expense as per his discretion and requirement.
Aviva Health Secure Plan Review
Critical illness plans offer a much higher coverage amount and the illnesses covered under one policy may differ from another. Aviva Health Secure is one such critical insurance policy with higher coverage at reasonable price. Let us look review this plan–
Aviva Critical Illness Cover Features
- It is an online health insurance plan.
- It is a critical health insurance plan. It covers 12 critical illnesses and pays you a lump sum amount in case you are diagnosed with any of them. This money can be used to pay for the medical treatment, post hospitalization care or even daily expenses as per your wish. This is a useful feature as when you are ill, your earning capacity might also be affected. The critical illnesses include first heart attack, certain caners, kidney failure, bone marrow transplant, open heart replacement, motor neurone disease, multiple scelorosis, stroke, permanent paralysis, benign brain tumour, open chest CABG and coma
- The policy term can be from 10 years- 30 years.
- The sum assured can be anything between Rs. 5,00,000 and Rs.50,00,000.
- On death or maturity of the plan, nothing is payable to you as it purely covers health insurance.
- It covers individuals from the age of 18 years 55 years and the maturity age is from 28 years -65 years.
What makes Aviva health secure policy Unique?
- It aims to supplement your normal health insurance plan in case that one is not sufficient to cover the medical cost or your need.
- The claim can be made at the first diagnosis of any critical illness listed as long as the critical illness has been diagnosed after 90 days of the policy commencement date or the date of renewal of policy, whichever is valid.
- You can get the lump sum amount provided you have survived at least 30 days after the diagnosis of the critical illness.
There is additional benefit if
– Sum Assured>=Rs.10 lacs and < Rs.25 Lacs, Rebate is 0.90 per Rs. 1000 of sum assured
– Sum Assured >=Rs.25 lacs, the rebate given is Rs.1.50 per 1000 SA
Other Benefits and Features of Aviva Critical Illness Cover
- Premium payment frequency is either yearly or half yearly.
- Premium paid is eligible for tax benefits under section 80D of the Income Tax act.
Cost of medical tests and special tests done at the time of purchase of policy will be taken care of by the insurance company.
Exclusions – Aviva Health Secure
The policy does not cover –
- Any critical illness apart from the 12 mentioned in the cover.
- Disease due to alcohol or drug abuse.
- Failure to seek medical advice.
- War, Nuclear accidents, Riots, Social disorder and participation in violent acts.
- Injury due to participation in risky sporting activities AIDS, congenital diseases, mental disorders, obesity and cosmetic surgery are not covered
- Pregnancy is not covered.
- Medical expenses incurred due to substance abuse, war and unproven treatment methods are excluded.
- Any condition for which insured had diagnosis, medical treatment or medical advice within 48 months prior to commencement or reinstatement of policy.
* Please check with the company for complete details before buying the policy.
The Aviva Health Secure plan is a good supplement to the existing health cover. There are many similar plans available in the market. For example the ICICI Prudential Crisis Cover that covers 35 illness. Bajaj Allianz Critical Illness plan offers a woman specific critical illness policy that covers breast cancer, ovarian cancer and cervical cancer. You should consider the expenses of the various illnesses covered and you should select the one that is most suitable for you. Do let us know your views on critical illness plans.