Best Medical Insurance for Parents

by Hemant Beniwal on October 10, 2012

Medical care cost is the (one of the) biggest problem in US & India may not be different in this. India may be developing as a hub for medical tourism & patients from US/Europe are coming here but days are not far when we would also be forced to travel for medical services to Srilanka or Bangladesh.

Last year finance ministry shared figures of 9.4% increase in medical care cost & we know how good our government is at these calculations. But even if we talk about 10% year on year increase on the cost this will be a whooping number till you retire. Ok time and again I have been cautioning you that health is one of the priorities that needs planning today and hopefully we have time to make appropriations for it.  But what about the people who have already crossed 60 – they need more medical care than you & me.

Medical Insurance can be an option to avoid holes in your pocket or medical bills making you sick. But even here – there is no good information. The distribution network or agents are having little or partial knowledge. Moment you ask them for a comparison, they go mute or start defending their product. The premiums are on the rise as insurers keep complaining that they are not making money in this segment. On an average the health insurance premiums are increasing steadily between 15 & 25 percent every year and there are limited options available. These limitations make you feel that you are from general category & fighting for a government job.

Medical insurance for parents can be a great gift

Let’s check importance of health insurance for your parents, alternate options to make sure medical bills do not impact their retirement plan, what you should consider before buying health insurance policy – also check comparison of health insurance product & their pricing for senior citizens.

Best Medical Insurance for parents Best Medical Insurance for Parents

Hope this helped you to understand importance of Health Insurance in old age & features that you should compare. If you don’t understand the terminologies that are used in above infographics – quickly check Terms commonly used in Health Insurance.

Best Medical Insurance for Parents

Medical Insurance for Parents Best Medical Insurance for Parents

Premium of Medical Insurance Policies for Senior Citizens

Health Insurance for Parents Best Medical Insurance for Parents

Source: Outlook Money

Have you gifted medical insurance to you parents? Do you know you can avail tax benefits on the premium you pay towards Medical Insurance for your parents? If you have any question  feel free to add in comments.

Do you believe in - An apple a day keeps the doctor away?

Similarly, TFL Guide is your weekly apple, keeping you financially fit.

Subscribe now and get Basics of Financial Planning E-Course FREE.

{ 77 comments… read them below or add one }

1 abhi

cost of a bypass surgery is more than the max coverage limit offered by some plans.
insurance is a scam

2 Hemant Beniwal

Hi Abhi,
You rightly said – there is difference between actual cost & maximum limit approved by some insurers.
General Insurance Public Sector Association (GIPSA) is a body of four public sector general insurers-New India Assurance, United India Insurance, National Insurance and Oriental Insurance Company. To contain losses due to ‘inflated’ medical bills charged from the insured, these insurers decided to standarise rates for 42 medical procedures across categories of hospitals for settling cashless claims.
GIPSA limits are 75-80% of actual cost.

3 rakesh kumar jain

Recently there was an advertizement which mentions that Health Insurance
is being offered by State Bank Of India to its Savings Bank account holders. I
guess similar Insurances must be available from other banks too. Any idea, how good are these Insurances & how easy/difficult is claim settlements in such Insurances? Any link where I can read details about these Insurances?

4 Manoj

Medical Insurance is a very important matter and you have nicely pointed in detail. But surprised to see that you have not mentioned the name of LIC’s mediclaim policy in your list. I have taken that policy for me and my father combined and it costs be around Rs. 7,500 per year and each of us have 1 lakh sum insurance and company bears 100 % of the amount. If I take the same policy for my father(65 yrs) alone it will cost me around Rs. 6,000. So I think this policy is up there with the best.

5 Deepak R Khemani

Manoj,
LIC does not have a “Mediclaim”Policy. What they have is a health plan which covers listed SURGERIES and daily hospital cash allowances are paid.
Also it does not pay 100% of amount as mentioned by you, It pays you a fixed amount on surgery irrespective of amount spent by you.
Please go through the terms and conditions of the policy you have in detail.

6 Puneet Taneja

Nice comparison – but this is for people in the age bracket of lets say 60 to 70 years or so.

Are there any options to safeguard grandparents ? That too at a reasonable premium ?

7 Hemant Beniwal

Hi Punit,
You should think of creating a separate medical corpus for them.

8 Puneet Taneja

I dont get it – separate corpus means ? is it like saving something every month for an emergency if required ? If yes, then whats the best method ? RD in banks ? MF’s ?

9 Shamshad

Hai Hemant,

We were waiting for an article on this subject.me and my wife are having health insurance policy from Apollo Munich and we were looking for a good and reliable plan for our parents.Hope this will help us.

Thanks dear :)

10 Hemant Beniwal

Welcome Shamshad – must share this with your friends :)

11 Mamta

I am 31 and have a medical insurance from my organization till i am suferring in the job. but considering i am in private job so that means after my retirement i wont be having any medical insurance.. so can u suggest that should i now start investing in the medical insurance / should enter after some more years.

And what type of plan i should go with? and can u shed some light on Lic mediclaim policy. as i was thinking to buy for me , my husband and kid.

12 Hemant Beniwal
13 sohail

Hi Mamta,

Health Insurance should be taken as early as possible, because sickness & diseases are unconditional and occur at any time… about your health insurance from office, remember no job is secured and even if so, after leaving the job, even if you take health insurance, either you it ‘ll be too late or the premium you pay would be comparatively more… regards,
Sohail

14 Mamta

Hi Sohail ,

Thanks for reply.. but can u also shed some light on policy which i should buy at the age of 31 years..

15 Mamta

just wanna know should i go for buying the top-up on what i am being offered from my organization or buying a separate policy all together.

and which companies and type of insurance should i choose..

16 Harshavardhan Bhusari

The details of Health Insurance plans are nicely compiled and graphics are adding to clarity. Awareness about Health Insurance plans available for Senior Citizens needs to be increased and the younger generation should treat this is as their moral and social responsibility.

17 Hemant Beniwal

Fully agree with you – we have to take this as our responsibility.

18 vrushank shah

Thanks Hemant for this wonderful article. Yesterday i was just thinking in this direction and u came up with this…
1 doubt came at the end.. “Have you gifted medical insurance to you parents? Do you know you can avail tax benefits on the premium you pay towards Medical Insurance for your parents? If you have any question feel free to add in comments.”
The question is what steps/ documentation required to be taken care while getting tax benefit for insurance premium paid for parents?
also, can u please guide me for best Term plans available for parents( more than 55 years age) ?? or can u cover and article on the same??

Vrushank Shah

19 Hemant Beniwal

Hi Vrushank,
Just make sure you make payment of medical insurance policy from your SB A/c – this will help you in taking tax benefit.
Don’t buy term plan in name of your parents………

20 vrushank

HI Hemant..

Thanks for your prompt reply..
Can u please clarify why the term plan for parents not advisable as per you??
There is only little cover( around 4-5 lac) currently for my parents and i want them to increase the insurance coverage either as i buy for them or they buy for themselves… i know the premium amount may be very high but its worth to increase cover at this time of life than any other age…Better late than never…..
please advise…..

Vrushank Shah

21 Shyju

You should buy term insurance only if you have people dependent on you. That’s why he advised against it.
Right Hemant?

22 Manish

Really a very good post. I was keenly trying to find a good medical insurance policy for my parents who are in the age bracket of 64 & 70 years respectively. Would be glad if u could help me out in deciding the policy to be taken, given their age into consideration.

23 Hemant Beniwal

Hi Manish,
At 64 try Apollo Munich & at 70 check policy of Religare.

24 RAJ B

Hemantji,
You are doing an yeoman service in this field.
I have heard that United India is the only company which covers for over 75 years i.e until death, all others have some kind of fine print involved.
Also shed some light on “Family-Floater Type” so that one can save on cost of this cover.
Also if you could do an article on Broad outline of Procedure for making the Claim as different companies follow different procedures.
Recently we had a death in the family & the medical Insurance cover was for Rs 5L. The hospital made a bill of 4,98,882 for total 5 days of stay in ICCU? Are we Indians born- cheats or what?

25 Hemant Beniwal

Hi Raj,
You can check claim process here
Regarding United India policy – maximum sum assured is limited to Rs 3 lakh so look for other options.

26 byju

Good post Hemant. Keep up the enlightening work.

27 hemant

great job but still input more details and try to cover more

28 Hemant Beniwal

Ok :)

29 Harshal

great post Hemant sir,
I am currently looking for overseas mediclaim for my parents(Age 62) who are traveling to USA this month.
Any thing special to consider when buying overseas Mediclaim? Can you please suggest good options to consider.

30 alpesh

Dear Hemantbhai,

thank you, as usual your post are always full of information, i would like to know medical reimbursement system for family pensioner. ( Gujarat State ) if you konw or from where i can get such information.

31 Hemant Beniwal

Hi Alpesh,
I have no clue about this.

32 udayan.p.sabnis

I have always liked your write ups & this one too is excellent on the care needed for senior citizens,presently my parents are father 80 years ; mother 76 years who are hail & healthy can you suggest a medical policy for them for at least 3 lakhs each & the cost .
Eagerly awaiting your reply.
udayan. sabnis

33 Hemant Beniwal

Hi Udayan,
Its tough to get polices at this age but you can try your luck with National insurance companies or ICICI Lombard & Max Bupa.

34 Vishal

Nice article. This is really helpful.

One question about premium mentioned in the above chart is that premium is for both mother and father or for any single person ?

Vishal

35 vaibhav

I have one personal mediclaim policy with Oriental (HAPPY FAMILY FLOATER POLICY) where i am considered as primary and my parents are also covered in it. I have never claimed through this policy but find it little surprising to consider me for premium. The cost of handling parents expenditure will always high . Do You think this is right or there could any other factors?

Thanks.

36 Hemant Beniwal

Hi Vaibhav,
My suggestion is – have a separate policy for parents.

37 Anand

Can you please help me to understand why it is better to have separate policies for parents? Whether you mean two separate policies for father and mother? Can you please help me?

38 Ravi

Little but good information.

39 Hemant Beniwal

Hi Ravi,
I think it can become the base of your research & according to your specific requirement you can take the policy.

40 Satish Arakeri

I am 31 year old unmarried, I do have health ins. provided by my employer. but still i want to get on my own. Should i get health Insurance worth 2 or 3 lakh after getting married(may be in 1 year) so that myself and wife is covered along with adding one more option for 1 kid.
And
My father is 65 year old, lives in Bijapur(North Karnataka) tier 3 city i guess.
I want to buy health insurance for him worth 2 or 3 lakh.
kindly advise which one suits best considering hospital network, good claim record and competitive premium.

41 Vikas

Hi satish,

For yourself you should buy a health insurance policy now also. Most companies have feature of adding family members in the same policy.
For your parents Senior Citizen Plans are the only option.However if they have not reached 66, product like Easy Health From Apollo Munich will cover them.

42 Vikas Vyas

Once again nice informative article.

We are 3 people, myself (44) and my parents (68 & 63). Neither of us have health insurance at present, there are no serious health issues either.

Can you please advise which is best plan to go for ? Will it be cheaper to go for a single policy covering all three of us. I did try to understand health insurance, but it seems complicated . Floaters, Critical illness cover, Riders all these goes above the head as I am just an average middle class person.

Thanks in advance

Vikas

43 Vikas

Hi Vikas,

You should go for seperate policies for your parents. Individual policies might be costlier so you can purchase a floater policy for them. The reason for this is that the premiums are high when age is more and are calculated on highest age of the group. So a single policy will not be benficial for you as premium wil increase with increase in age of your parents.
For yourself you should go for an individual policy.You can consider Apollo Munich or Max Bhupa.

44 Anand Singh

Dear Hemant

I have just finished reading the article.It was quite informative.Thanks for same.

I would like to ask that what would happen if the insurance providing company goes bankrupt or it stop its services? Will customer’s Policy get transfer to another Insurer or or else get lapsed? I am 27 years old & planning to get a Medical insurance policy for self as well as for my parents. What would you suggest if we don’t have any critical illness history or symptoms in our family?
I had asked Insurance companies but they don’t clarify.

Eagerly awaiting for your reply.

Thank you again & keep these good articles coming.

Anand

45 byju

good question….any answers..please..?

46 Vikas

Hi Anand,

You can consider Apollo Munich or Max Bhupa.

47 Rakesh

There is a list of tests which needs to be conducted before the medical insurance policy is offered . Based on the results, I found most insurance companies including Oriental Insurance, National Insurance, etc. in Bangalore..do not want to take up the risk . Thus they don’t offer the medical insurance at all.

48 Vikas

Hi Rakesh,

Health Insurance companies do have specific list where they do not provide insurance coverage. Fo re.g. many companies do not give policies to diabetic patients at all.

49 Annapurna Shastri

Your post is very detailed and informative. and surely an eye-opener for those who have not yet opted for a medical cover for their parents- given the rate of medical inflation and the alarming rate at which lifestyle diseases are on the rise added to the fact that there is a special provision under section 80 D to invest upto Rs. 20,000/- for parents and save tax.

50 Anil Bhatt

Thanks Hemant for this
wonderful article.

51 naresh rohra

My parents age is around 45-46.. They do not have any serious illness till now… could you please suggest a medical plan for them

52 Vikas

Hi Naresh,

You can consider Apollo Munich Easy Health which have good features.

53 rakesh kumar jain

Thanks for the article.

Is it possible that you can suggest a Policy/Insurance Company for insuring (Health) myself. I get calls from agents when I post a query but no one is able to Insure (Health) as soon as I tell them that I had Bypass Surgery in 1996 & a stroke in 2006 & am taking insulin (60 Units) for Diabetes control. Many Insurance Policies mention pre-existing diseases are covered after 2-4 years but agents are unable to offer me a policy. Why?

Thanking you. Best regards, RAKESH (DOB 6-1-1951, E-mail rkj95)

54 Vikas

Hi Rakesh,

Although pre-existing disease are covered after 2-4 years in a health policy, there is a risk element which company judges before including such illnesses. At higher age the probability of illness is more and so company perceive it to be on a higher risk when they are issuing health policies to this age group.Due to same reason the premiums are high.

The resistance from agents/companies is due to higher age and your existing illnesses along with the previous ones you have faced.

55 Abhinav

Hi Vikas

So what option does a person have if he wants a health insurance and has Pre Existing.. I enquired with all the Insurance companies ( Apollo munich, max bupa, star health, religare etc) to find a policy with pre-existing condition but all of them refuse to insure my father(58 yrs) who is diabetic and has RA..
I believe the only option is to build medical corpus for the worst case.. I really feel that there should be some government policy in providing healthcare assistance for the senior citizens.. otherwise these suckers just want premium from us till the time we are healthy and will not cover us once we are old and have some illness..

56 Mr. J Bhargav

Dear Hemnat,

I’m looking for Insurance which will cover 100% of the amount i.e hospitalization and Post-hospitalization as well for my parents who are almost 60.
One of them had a surgery last year and other one is taking thyroid medication.

Please suggest any suitable insure.

Thanks in advance.

57 Hemant Beniwal

Hi Jeet,
60 is a good age to take regular policy with maximum benefits – try Apollo Munich easy health.

58 Rahul Sharma

hi Hemant Sir my parents is belongs to 50-55 age group please tell me which policy is best for parents

59 Mahavir Chopra

Hello Rahul,

If their health is fine, and there is no medical history, try Apollo Munich, Max Bupa or Religare Care. These are open-ended and top-ended products where premiums are high. If you are looking for a balanced product look for Oriental Happy Family Floater.

Ensure you also catch hold of an experienced adviser who can handle and advice on your claims.

Mahavir Chopra

60 dharmesh

i am looking to buy health insurance for my family age (39+35+10+4). pls advice best policy

61 Vikas

Hi Dharmesh,

You can look at Apollo Munich and Max Bhupa for your requirement.

62 dharmesh

first time i am going to buy health insurance pls suggest best out of all policy. i want to buy individual policy for me ,wife ,son, daughter prem (5+5+3+3)lac each, where policy give maximum protection & facility.

63 Sumit Bhandari

Its very detailed post and lot of good informationis posted here.

If you allow, can I recommend other senior citizen policies available here.?

64 Vikas

Hi Sumit,

It will be beneficial for all the readers if you provide reviews of any such plans.

65 Puneet

Could you suggest me some good health insurance which covers me and and my parents? I am 28 yrs old and my parents are in 50-59. My mother has suffered from cancer which was treated successfully 10 yrs ago.

Please advise.

66 Sachin Kumar

Hi Hement,
First, I would like to appreciate your work.
Any senior citizen (Age-62) had passing with some critical illnesses then he can buy any medical insurance, if yes then suggest please.

Thanks in advance.

Best Regards,
Sachin

67 viv

Nice post, congratulation.

Would you please guide to finalize insurance company for my parents. My father’s age is 65 and my mother’s age is 63. My father don’t have any existing illness where as my mother is having thyroid, taking medicine for BP and 2 years back she had undergone for knee replacement. Although my brother having corporate policy under which both of them are covered but still I want to take extra cover.

I am looking out for insurance company which will take medical test and on that basis issue policy, as my mother is having pre existing illness so I am afraid that insurance company will reject her application so is there any option to totally exclude some diseases? as those are already covered in my brother’s corporate plan.

please suggest policy which is having lifetime validity, no or minimum co-payment, no sub or upper caps, minimum waiting period for pre-existing illness, I can go for individual policy of 3-4 lac. I am also fine with psu’s if they are covering my requirement.

I dont want to go with Religare as i had very bad experience with them.

Viv

68 abhi

Hi, I am looking for a family health insurance.
4 peolpe
Age 34+35+7+2
Please suggest which company.

69 Pallavi

I want a medical insurance policy for my parents aged 54 and 64. I compared several health insurance policies and found out that ICICI Lombard was better than the rest considering they cover existing illness after 2 yrs and have no sub-limit, though the premium is a little high.

Your thoughts on this. Do you suggest any other policy?

Pallavi

70 manjunath

sir, my dad is 67 years old & my mother is 55 year old & both are diabetic & hypertensive. kindly suggest, is there a single policy to cover both or do i need to buy seperately & also suggest a policy.
thanks,

71 prodeepto sen

Hi Sir,
I want to buy a medical imsurance policy for my parents, my father is at age of 60 and my mother is at age of 55, which health policy do you suggest which gives them maximum coverage. Also please let me know if I take a medical insurance policy, does the company pay 100% of medical expenses like hospital charges, doctor consultation fees, etc.

72 rakesh kumar jain

I am looking for an Medical Insurance / Mediclaim Policyfor myself. I had bypass surgery in 1996 & a stroke in 2006. I also suffer from diabetes. My BP, Diabetes are under control with the help of medicines & insulin. My DOB is 6-1-1951.

Though I understand that with such conditions, it may be difficult to get Medical Insurance/Mediclaim Policy, kindly suggest who to contact if any company may offer me an insurance to cover part or full medical expenses if I am hospitalized?

Best regars, RAKESH

73 Jithesh P

Nice Post. Thanks for this.

My parents are aged 58 & 46. M looking for policies for them that will cover all Domicilary & Hospitalisation expenses at a reasonable premium. I myself have a policy offered by company. The premium for adding parents to that policy is bit on the higher side (around 30K for both combined for 1L insured). Any suggestion pls?

74 Jithesh P

Nice Post. Thanks for this.

Thanks in Advance,
Jithesh

75 Sushil

Hi Friends,

My Parents are aged 54 & 61. For them I am looking for coverage of min 3 Lkh and max 5 Lkh. In my company premium for adding parents to my policy is very high. For 3 Lkh its 22K and for 5Lkh its 27K.
Can you please suggest any policies which will either cover both of them together or as an individual for my father (since he is 60+) any best policy with reasonable premium for expected coverage?

Thank You.

76 Rakesh

Dear Sushil,
One of the available mediclaim policies is Star Health Sr. Citizen Red Carpet Policy. I have taken a medical insurance for my parents each costing 14494/- per year. The Med-insurance amount is 3Lakhs.

77 V Patterson

Hello Hemant
Me and my wife were covered under a family floater health insurence policy for the last 8 years. When I crossed 60 years of age my premium was increased. Now when my wife crossed 60 they have shited us from floater to idividual scheme. This means that my premium has become double which I can not afford to pay after the retirment. Do you think it is ok? Can you sugest something so that we can keep ourselves secured?